Are you all sick of these "25 things about me" lists that are all over your facebooks? TOO BAD! I've had a full social calendar, and therefore have not cooked much. I did cook a yummy veggie lasagna this week, but one of the main ingredients was jarred Alfredo sauce, and that makes it feel just a little too semi-homemade to post. I rresearched the jarred sauce, if that makes any difference...
Anyway, I saw that Kelly from Sounding my Barbaric Gulp did a list, so I thought I'd be a copy cat and do one too. I got quite nostalgic doing this. I tried to make it not be about my childhood, but once I had one memory, they just kept coming!
1. As a child I hated most things that involved cheese; mac & cheese, grilled cheese, cheeseburgers. This is probably because all cheese I encountered was American processed cheese product slices or velveeta. I still hate that junk.
2. When I eat hot foods my eyebrows sweat.
3. Also a child I hated tuna and tomatoes. Love them both now.
4. Because of my dislike of tomatoes as a kid, when we had BLTs for dinner, I got a peanut butter bacon sandwich instead.
5. I have tried, and kind of enjoyed, durian.
6. I have never liked mayonnaise. Still don't, though I'm getting better...I've had a remoulade that I really liked recently. Used to be I wouldn't go near anything mayo based, and simply opening a jar would make me gag.
7. I worked at a Chinese buffet restaurant the first couple years of college. I just took orders and cleared tables. People didn't like me much because I'm white, and I suppose that made them question the authenticity of their St. Paul sandwiches and Crab Rangoon.
8. My dad was the cook in the house, and he was really good. Mom specialized in hamburger helper and taco kits.
9. I wash my face with olive oil.
10. My grandparents on both sides always had pears for me when I came over.
11. While I still love pears, my favorite fruit these days is mango.
12. I am still a fan of manwhich after all these years.
13. Although I have outgrown spaghettios. I ate them alot in college, until the time it gave me terrible tooth pain because of all the sugar it has in it. I had no idea!
14. I love Ethiopian food, mostly because I love eating with my hands and having it be socially acceptable.
15. I have a girl crush on Nigella Lawson.
16. Many people have told me they thought I was a vegetarian. Must be the glasses.
17. My favorite cereal is coco puffs. I am indeed cookoo for them.
18. I used to think the only food I wouldn't try was Balut, but the more I read about it, the more I think I want to at least attempt it.
19. Lamb is one of my favorite meats, yet I've only cooked it myself once.
20. I have a collection of PEZ dispensers at work. And no, I don't eat the candy. Well, maybe once a year I'll have some of the candy...
21. I've plucked the eye out of a grilled fish and eaten it. It was good! Like a little fishy nut.
22. One of my favorite things when I was a kid was when my dad would make us chocolate shakes. Vanilla ice cream, Quik powder, milk, mixed and mashed with a spoon. Yum. Also, we hardly ever had chocolate syrup, so my dad would mix the quik powder with a little water to make chocolate syrup for sundaes.
23. My grandpa once tried to tell me that the raisins in the cereal were cockroaches. I knew he was joking, but I hate cockroaches, so I started crying.
24. If I'm ever at an event with a chocolate fountain, I will be the one dipping potato chips in it. And it always starts a trend.
25. I once caught a hot dog shot from a cannon at a Cardinal's game.